• Serves the department as a Fire Inspector; conducts fire safety inspections and conducts certificate of occupancy. Interprets and enforces pertinent fire prevention codes, laws, and regulations.
• Participates in a comprehensive fire inspection program to reveal and rectify fire hazards; personally inspects structures; provides technical advice to collaborate with other City departments.
• Plans and presents fire safety education classes for the public and private school system, businesses, civic and community groups, and the general public. Participates in smoke detector program with installing and sharing fire safety education material.
• Possibly assist primary fire investigators on fire scenes to determine cause and origin or fires; may assume primary investigator role as appointed and deemed necessary by supervisory personnel. Off-duty call-in/rotating schedule is required when serving in this capacity.
• Receives and reviews a variety of required reports and related documents.
• Participates in fire protection systems acceptance testing, such as; fire pumps, clean agents, sprinkler systems, alarm systems, and commercial hood systems.
• Attends training, conferences, seminars and meetings to remain knowledgeable for job related functions; current codes, practices, procedures, and modern job performance methods. Participates in department training activities; serves as instructor for selected in-house training courses.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.