• Operates commercial solid waste collection truck in the collection of garbage on assigned routes as scheduled. Operates automated refuse equipment and empties refuse containers. Operates loadpacker or open-body truck in the collection of garbage and rubbish usually on established routes. Operates recycling truck empting recycling bin.
• Directs the work of an assigned crew.
• Assures that truck is equipped, cleaned, and serviced; performs minor maintenance and reports repair needs to supervisor or to the garage.
• Reports violations of refuse collection regulations to supervisor; assists in assigning personnel, investigating complaints, training, and spot checking crews.
• Gets out of the truck to move bins that are blocked, too far from the road, to leave a violation notice, take a picture of a violation, load bulky items into a rear loading truck, rake leaves, pickup loose trash, or empty recycling bins.
• Performs medium to heavy work that involves walking, standing, stooping, lifting, digging, pushing and raising objects and also involves exerting between 20 to 50 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis and 50 to 100 pounds of force on an occasional basis.
• Performs all other duties as may be assigned to meet organizational needs.